The big strength about this insert is that it reduces setup time to…nearly zero. You take the card box and main insert out of the box, plonk them in front of the spymasters and lay out the cards. Makes for nice quick cleaning up too.
Inspiration drawn from Gonzalo Viqueira over on Boardgamegeek. He provided plans and measurements too which…I didn’t even look at apart from seeing that he cuts angled notches to support the floors, which, after Avalon, I had no intention of doing!
Below is how I reduced my angled insert headache. I cut and measured supporting triangles to rest the flat parts on rather than cutting slots in the walls to slide them into. Waaaaay easier!
Some close-ups. I messed up the draw-box for the main cards by initially cutting notches in the wrong side of the box, so I had to cut notches in all the sides, but it still works fine and has the advantage of being able to cleanly draw cards out of the middle of the deck too. The one problem is that the box is almost square, so it’s easy to put the deck back in the box the wrong way around if you take the whole thing out – not likely in ordinary play, so not really an issue.
An in-progress shot before the floor goes on. You can see the notch I cut for the key card holder in the top and how it’s level with the walls of the adjoining sections for support. The whole thing is nice and solid with no wobble.